Pride in Chinatown’s signature garden party returned in 2022 with a splash of neon, featuring some of the best pan-Asian LGBTQ+ artists and their allies.
Neon Night Garden Party was a magical evening with a wide range of performances, art installations, and immersive experiences in the beautiful Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden, park, and courtyard. Harkening back to when Chinatown was aglow with neon signs, you’re invited to interpret the theme “Neon Night” through your personal style and artistic expression.
Featured artists and activities:
• Land acknowledgment performance by Quanah Style
• Karaoke Lounge hosted by Ottawa icon China Doll
• Music by DJs Normie Corp and Nancy Lee, a.k.a Which Nancy
• Drag performances by Kara Juku, Maiden China, and Jolene Sloan
• The Zen Den body art by Romeo Reyes
• Poetry reading and installation by Lyle Chan
• Be Like Sound installation by Paul Wong
• Exhibition tours of Don Kwan: Beyond Exclusion
• Site decor by Link Leisure and David Robinson
• Food market featuring Boba Run, DD Mau, and Dicky’s Dump
• PIC Popup store featuring products made by local Asian LGBTQ+ artists and allies
Neon Night Garden Party took place on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) peoples. It is produced and presented by On Main Gallery in partnership with Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden and Pride in Art Society (Queer Arts Festival/SUM Gallery).
Neon Night Garden Party is generously funded by Canada Council for the Arts, BC Arts Council, and the City of Vancouver, with community support from the Chinese Cultural Centre of Greater Vancouver.
NEON NIGHT GARDEN PARTY
Photos by Brian Howell, Christian Yves Jones, Fatima Jaffer and Mayowill Photography.